Police in Central Jakarta have arrested a suspect linked to a bag snatching case involving a Polish national in the Kebon Sirih area, Menteng.
Menteng Metro Police Chief Braiel Arnold Rondonuwu said the case was separate from another recent snatching incident involving an Italian citizen near the Bundaran Hotel Indonesia.
“This is another bag snatching victim, a Polish citizen. Not the one from yesterday at HI. This is the crime scene on Jalan Kebon Sirih,” Braiel said on Saturday, as quoted from Merdeka.com.
The victim, identified as Polish national Andrezej Skorski, expressed his appreciation to officers after police recovered his stolen mobile phone.
In a video uploaded by the Instagram account of the Menteng Metro Police on Friday, Skorski explained that his phone had been stolen before he contacted the police station for assistance.
“My phone was stolen, and I called the Menteng Metro Police Station. After 24 hours, I received information from them that my phone was found,” he said.
The video showed officers returning a black mobile phone to the victim at the Menteng Metro Police headquarters.
Lihat postingan ini di Instagram
Sebuah kiriman dibagikan oleh POLSEK METRO MENTENG (@polsekmetromenteng_official)
Police Confirm Separate Incident from Bundaran HI Case
Police said the incident involving the Polish national took place on Thursday, 14 May 2026, on Jalan Kebon Sirih in Central Jakarta.
According to investigators, the victim was standing by the roadside when a motorcycle approached, and the perpetrator snatched the mobile phone before fleeing the scene.
Authorities stressed that the case was unrelated to another recent incident involving an Italian national near the Bundaran Hotel Indonesia, which had circulated widely on social media.
“This is the crime scene on Jalan Kebon Sirih, not at the Bundaran HI,” Braiel said.
In a separate case, an Italian tourist reportedly lost a Motorola Neo 60 mobile phone after it was snatched while he was in the Bundaran HI area.
“The Sector Police Criminal Investigation Unit, assisted by the Resort Police Criminal Investigation Unit, is still working to identify the perpetrators,” said Braiel.
According to police, officers have questioned the Italian victim and are continuing efforts to identify and locate the suspect captured in footage recorded by residents.
“We have questioned the victim. We ask for your support, and we hope this will be resolved soon,” Braiel said.
Police Increase Patrols Following Series of Snatching Cases
Police acknowledged that several snatching incidents have recently occurred within the Menteng Metro Police jurisdiction. Officers said they are increasing patrols and strengthening coordination with local security teams to prevent similar crimes.
Braiel said authorities were carrying out precautionary measures, including routine patrols, rapid responses to public reports, and cooperation with hotel security personnel in busy tourism areas.
However, police said they had not found evidence linking the recent snatching incidents to an organised criminal group.
“We have not yet discovered any connection between the perpetrators, as we have not yet discovered the modus operandi of the snatching gang,” Braiel said.
The incidents have also raised concerns about the safety of foreign visitors in central areas of Jakarta frequently visited by tourists. Police urged residents and international visitors to remain cautious in crowded public spaces and avoid using mobile phones openly near roadsides or traffic areas.
Authorities advised foreign tourists to stay alert, especially in busy districts such as Menteng and the Bundaran HI area, where snatching cases involving motorcycles have recently been reported.