The Health Minister on Face Mask Mandate: We No Longer Regulate It

Share:

Budi Gunadi Sadikin, Indonesia’s Health Minister, stated that the government no longer explicitly regulates the use of face mask in public areas. He claims that now that the COVID-19 pandemic has become endemic, the government is reducing its involvement in health initiatives.

“It has the same symptoms as the flu. We will no longer monitor it”. On the 14th of March, Budi said in Balai Sudirman, Central Jakarta, “It’s up to the people whether they need to wear a mask.”

When questioned about the uniformity of the pandemic to endemic transition program, Budi responded that the minister left it to the general public. Budi advises wearing a mask if someone is feeling uncomfortable & under the weather or hasn’t had a shot recently. If not, he said, it was alright.

people wearing face mask in public
Source freepik

Even though previously the government has stated that face mask regulation has been lifted, the use of face masks in public places is advised. This will be the first time the government explicitly declares that the face mask is no longer necessary in any shape or form. 

Find the latest information on Covid-19 here 

Several countries have gotten rid of the rules mandating mask usage. Given the steady COVID-19 scenario, one of them is Singapore, which has been enforcing this policy since the 29th of August, 2022.

Following the decline in COVID-19 cases and the lifting of societal restrictions. A similar policy for face mask regulations was also implemented in South Korea in early 2023. Except for public transportation and healthcare institutions, mask use is no longer required in most indoor situations in South Korea.

Most recently, on the 13th of March, Japan ended the requirement for a face mask. Most main subsidiaries in Japan will no longer require their customers to wear masks as of Monday, including theme parks like Tokyo Disneyland, Japan Railways, and theatre company Toho.

Interested about this topic? Please check out our other articles:

Related News

A foreign woman was caught on CCTV allegedly stealing four items of clothing worth a total of IDR 2.5 million from the Yoga Shanty shop on Jalan Hanoman No. 30, Ubud District, Gianyar Regency, Bali. Footage of the incident was later shared on social media and went viral. The incident occurred on Monday, July 27, […]

A magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) on 15 August 2026, forcing tens of thousands of residents to evacuate after damaging homes and public facilities. Among those affected was Maria Florida Nogo Kelen, a resident of Nagekeo Regency who was forced to undergo an emergency Caesarean section while the earthquake and aftershocks continued. […]

The death toll from the magnitude 7.7 earthquake that struck East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) on Saturday, 15 August 2026, has risen to 68, with 213 people reported injured, according to Indonesia’s National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB), as reported by ANTARA News. The earthquake struck Flores early on Saturday morning, with its epicentre near Nagekeo in […]

A local resident accused of sexually harassing an overseas tourist in the Lovina resort area has escaped police prosecution, with local authorities choosing instead to settle the matter by requiring him to sign a formal statement of apology. The incident occurred in Kalibukbuk Village, within the Buleleng District of Bali. The perpetrator, identified as Wayan […]

Expat Events

Indonesia Visas

Expat Event

Business Networking
IDR 200.000
Casa Cuomo Ristorante & Lounge
Social Networking
IDR 150.000
Sky Pool, Hotel Indonesia Kempinski
Social Networking
IDR 150.000
Amigos Kemang

Indonesia Guide

Just For Fun

Write For Us

Exclusive Promotions

Event Gallery