Fernando Martin Carreras’ Body Found

Indonesia Extends Search for Two Missing Children After Fernando Martin Carreras’ Body Found

Share:

A joint Search and Rescue (SAR) team has found a body in the waters of Komodo National Park, Labuan Bajo, West Manggarai, East Nusa Tenggara (NTT). Authorities have confirmed that the body belongs to Fernando Martin Carreras, a coach with Valencia CF’s women’s B team.

The confirmation was delivered by the NTT Regional Police on Sunday, January 4, 2026. The body was identified as an adult male and a Spanish national.

“Yes, that’s right. The body is that of Valencia CF women’s soccer team B coach, Fernando Martin Carreras. The victim is an adult male and a Spanish citizen,” said NTT Regional Police Public Relations Chief, Senior Commissioner Henry Novika Chandra, as quoted by detikBali.

Fernando’s body was discovered at 8:47 a.m. Central Indonesian Time (WITA) in waters between Seraya Island and Rinca Island, within Komodo National Park. The body was later evacuated to Komodo Regional Hospital for examination and formal identification.

Identification Conducted Under Interpol DVI Protocol

Police confirmed that the identification process followed Interpol’s Disaster Victim Identification (DVI) protocol. The results matched the data provided by the victim’s family.

“The Head of the Medical and Health Division stated that the victim’s identification, based on matching the AM and PM data, both primary and secondary, is in accordance with Interpol’s DVI protocol,” Henry said.

On the tenth day of the search operation, Fernando was found by officers from the Water and Air Police Directorate (Ditpolairud) of the NTT Regional Police. According to police, he was found floating face down on the water’s surface.

Fernando was shirtless when discovered. Ditpolairud officers immediately contacted the National Search and Rescue Agency (Basarnas) to assist with evacuation. The body was then placed in a body bag and transferred for further handling.

The maritime incident occurred last week in the waters of the Padar Island Strait, Labuan Bajo. The vessel involved, KM Putri Sakinah, was carrying 11 people at the time of the accident. They included six foreign tourists from Spain, one tour guide, and four crew members.

Search Extended for Two Missing Children

Following the discovery of Fernando’s body, authorities have extended the search operation for two remaining victims. They are Fernando’s two sons, who remain missing.

NTT Regional Police Chief Inspector General Rudi Darmoko announced that the search period has been extended for another three days, until Wednesday, January 7, 2026.

“The second extension is until January 7, 2026. The first search extension was from January 2 to January 4, 2026,” Rudi told detikBali on Sunday.
Basarnas has expanded the search area by approximately five nautical miles from the previous zone. The decision was made after the second victim was found on Sunday.

“Today we are continuing the search process and expanding the search area in the hope of finding two more victims,” said Fathur Rahman, Head of the Maumere Search and Rescue Office and SAR Mission Coordinator, when contacted from Kupang on Monday.

The extended search resumed at 6:30 a.m. WITA on Monday. A total of 153 joint personnel are involved in the operation. They include officers from Basarnas, the Indonesian National Armed Forces (TNI), the Indonesian National Police (Polri), the Labuan Bajo Port Authority (KSOP), Komodo National Park officials, community rescue groups, and the West Manggarai Regional Disaster Management Agency (BPBD).

The operation also involves members of the diving community. Seventeen units of search equipment have been deployed across islands surrounding Labuan Bajo.

Find this article helpful? Check out our other articles from Social Expat!

SEO Writer

Imelda is a content writer specializing in viral news and Indonesian culture. Her work revolves around researching and analyzing current events, social media trends, and popular culture.

Related News

A 17-year-old student from Palangka Raya, Central Kalimantan, has drawn international attention after helping local residents and authorities extinguish forest and land fires while wearing a Superman costume. Rudiansyah, a 10th-grade student at SMA Negeri 10 Palangka Raya, has been helping fight fires near his home in Jalan Petuk Katimpun, Petuk Katimpun sub-district, Jekan Raya, […]

Three foreign nationals from Israel were expelled from a gym in Ubud, Gianyar Regency, Bali, after the owner said one of them had behaved rudely towards staff. The incident was recorded and shared on social media, where it attracted attention after the gym owner was heard questioning the men about their nationality and whether they […]

A 57-year-old fisherman from Ternate, North Maluku, has been rescued after drifting at sea for 26 days, following his disappearance while fishing off the coast of Pulau Batang Dua. Esau Sidemo, a resident of Bido Village, Pulau Batang Dua District, was rescued by the crew of the French-flagged LNG cargo vessel LNG Endeavour while it […]

A foreign woman was caught on CCTV allegedly stealing four items of clothing worth a total of IDR 2.5 million from the Yoga Shanty shop on Jalan Hanoman No. 30, Ubud District, Gianyar Regency, Bali. Footage of the incident was later shared on social media and went viral. The incident occurred on Monday, July 27, […]

Expat Events

Indonesia Visas

Expat Event

Social Networking
IDR 200.000
Sky Pool, Hotel Indonesia Kempinski
Social Networking
IDR 150.000
Amigos Kemang
Social Networking
IDR 170.000
Poolside, Grand Hyatt Jakarta

Indonesia Guide

Just For Fun

Write For Us

Exclusive Promotions

Event Gallery